From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] splitting up package.mask
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:06:51
1 On 3/13/08, Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hey guys,
3 >
4 > I have an idea I'd like to run by the QA team.
5 >
6 > For a user's portage preferences, we can have /etc/package.mask be a
7 > file or a directory of files (package.mask/*) that will cumulatively
8 > create the same effect.
9 >
10 > Because package.mask in CVS for profiles is so huge, I think it might
11 > help it to get organized if we split it up a bit.
12 >
13 > halcyon had a good idea for the scheme: testing, broken, removal. That
14 > seems to sum up the main 3 reason that a package would be masked.
15 >
16 > Right now there are 679 entries in package.mask. The reason I came up
17 > with the idea was to find a way to make it easier for treecleaners to
18 > quickly see which ones they were working on.
19 >
20 > I'd like to take the discussion to -dev but wanted to get QA's thoughts
21 > first. I haven't looked into whether or not this is technically
22 > feasible at all.
23
24 Yes, I'm sure some will want a GLEP.
25
26 my proposal would be to create in gentoo-x86, a package.mask.d type dir
27
28 Come up with a naming scheme.
29 Come up with a tool that can check for duplicate mask entries.
30 Cat all the entries together to form a legacy package.mask so we don't
31 have to deal with backwards compat.
32
33 Probably use this cat'd package.mask file for the PM with a stat()
34 call on the packge.mask.d dir to force the PM to generate the 'cache'.
35
36 -Alec
39 > Steve
42 > --