From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] Support of other package managers
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:58:49
This issue is certainly a dicey one.  I don't think there is an easy to
define answer.  It has always been assumed that a portage rewrite
(whether it were a third party reimplementation in a !python language,
or pkgcore/paludis or portage-ng) would just fit right into the tree,
without making changes of any kind at all.  So I think the question that
we need to answer is *what* changes are necessary to the profiles and
*why* -- or I suppose, why would paludis/pkgcore need to have its own
profile?

I think it would be a lot easier to see what it is that needs this sort
of change before we can make an informed call about it.

thanks,

Seemant