From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] Re: Proposed changes to GLEP48
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:04:45
1 Il giorno dom, 23/01/2011 alle 10.00 +0100, Torsten Veller ha scritto:
2 >
3 > The current "QA team's role and purpose" (GLEP 48) always talks about
4 > the QA TEAM -- and I think this is good: QA needs a leader who can
5 > build
6 > a team IMHO.
7
8 I'd be all for not having to specify so much the presence of the QA
9 lead, but the problem lies in what the past year taught us: devrel will
10 refuse to cooperate to anybody on the QA team but the lead.
11
12 With "cooperate" here I don't only mean "listen to the requests for
13 suspension"; devrel refused to keep the team as a whole in the loop of
14 pending requests, as well as ignoring any evidence/suggestion coming
15 from single team members.
16
17 Which is why they "force" us to actually specify a lead in our very
18 definition.
21 > "the lead will be held responsible for their actions"
22 > I think this can be dropped: the team is responsible for its actions
23 > anyway
24 > (whatever that means) and the lead will be replaced soon too.
25
26 It's a matter of bringing some balance in the game; if we drop the four
27 months rule, one could expect that the lead could call in his cronies
28 just to take over QA. By forcing a lead to take direct responsibility
29 for the people he or she let join the team.
30
31 Maybe I should specify it better, but it was intended as implicitly not
32 making the lead be directly responsible for the members that were on the
33 team _before_.
34
35 > "be ascribed to bona-fide mistake" --
36 > how can we evaluate this?
37 >
38 > Do you think this rule would have been used in the past?
39
40 This would be easy to pass under the "it's just common sense" idea, but
41 I wanted to have it in anyway. If a developer ends up breaking the tree
42 by simply not thinking about the effects of his or her action, that's
43 bad, but it's one thing.
44
45 When a developer knows very well what his or her actions imply but still
46 applies them without caring about the repercussions, that cannot be
47 ascribed to bona-fide.
48
49 As an example, think about a developer committing a non-masked package,
50 the installation of which prevents Portage from completing its tasks
51 correctly. By default it's just a mistake, but if said developer
52 actually provided the fix beforehand to the Portage team but then didn't
53 wait for it to be deployed before committing the package, then it cannot
54 be a mistake in good faith.
57 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
58 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/