From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] splitting up package.mask
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:10:26
1 On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:59:41 -0600
2 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hey guys,
5 >
6 > I have an idea I'd like to run by the QA team.
7 >
8 > For a user's portage preferences, we can have /etc/package.mask be a
9 > file or a directory of files (package.mask/*) that will cumulatively
10 > create the same effect.
11 >
12 > Because package.mask in CVS for profiles is so huge, I think it might
13 > help it to get organized if we split it up a bit.
14 >
15 > halcyon had a good idea for the scheme: testing, broken, removal.
16 > That seems to sum up the main 3 reason that a package would be masked.
17 >
18 > Right now there are 679 entries in package.mask. The reason I came
19 > up with the idea was to find a way to make it easier for treecleaners
20 > to quickly see which ones they were working on.
21 >
22 > I'd like to take the discussion to -dev but wanted to get QA's
23 > thoughts first. I haven't looked into whether or not this is
24 > technically feasible at all.
25
26 Well, portage supports this since 2.1 and older versions haven't been
27 supported for quite some time already, but don't know about other PMs,
28 so depends if you want to risk breaking them.
29
30 Marius
31 --
32 gentoo-qa@l.g.o mailing list