From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] QA confusion: Upstream qa issues -> failing to install
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:04:16
Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> said:
> Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> said: > > Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> said: > > > trying to install openssh on the dev profile one is greated with this > > > > > > bugger: > > > * QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may > > > compile * fine but exhibit random runtime failures. > > > * closefromtest.c:46: warning: implicit declaration of function > > > > > > ‘closefrom’ > > > > > > * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA > > > * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software. > > > > > > This looks really really weird. On the one hand we are saying: "Its a > > > QA issue but upstream should fix it." followed by "It so broke, we > > > wont let you install it." > > > > Personally I think we should be directing our users to our Bugzilla > > always. We really don't want to be pissing off upstreams if we put in > > a patch that triggers one of these QA warnings and it ends up being > > our problem and not theirs. > > i would agree, that all issues should be reported in our own bugzilla > (also). > > It would be really nice if we somehow could annotate the bug, in the > ebuild, so that the warning already includes the bug number (or is > silenced by it) in an effort to reduce the number of duplicates. > > where are these qa checks implemented anyway?
/usr/lib/portage/bin/misc-functions.sh We should probably get a discussion going with the dev community as a whole as to what we should change this text to, and why, so we don't bother upstreams with our own possible problems. -- Mark Loeser email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com web - http://www.halcy0n.com