From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] Project layout (what should we do)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:03:02
1 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> said:
2 > [tinderbox]
3 > guys working on tinderbox and reading the logs and opening bugs, if time
4 > allows also fixes them.
5 > (all tinderbox bugs will be required to be addressed by maintainer in
6 > long term)
7
8 Not sure how many people know about it, but there is already a git repo
9 for Diego's scripts:
10
11 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/flameeyes-tinderbox.git;a=summary
12
13 Having more people run this on different archs and that would be
14 awesome.
15
16 > [daywatch/nightwatch]
17 > guys following on -commits and checking if someone does not break the
18 > tree :] Usually fixing themselves or slapping maintainer to do so
19 > (privately not on -dev, everyone has a bad day :])
20
21 I like the idea of us more proactively doing code reviews of changes,
22 but for this to be effective we are going to need a nice sized bunch of
23 people to do it.
24
25 > [amish]
26 > puritans :] these guys will proactively check the main tree for qa
27 > issues using various tools and removing everything that does not fit in
28 > :] (patches/ebuild-coding/whitespace fixes/...).
29
30 This is one that I've been trying to do with the help of a few of you,
31 and its a lot harder than it sounds, but something I see as being
32 worthwhile as well. If we can cut down on the noise from all of the
33 simple issues that shouldn't exist, we can start making more interesting
34 and strict checks.
35
36 > [treecleaners]
37 > Guys responsible for maintaining profiles and removing packages that
38 > in long-term fails to meet up QA standards.
39
40 Samuli already said it, and I agree, that these guys should worry about
41 packages instead of profiles. The overall QA team should worry about
42 the profiles.
43
44 > [overtakers]
45 > guys responsible for unmaintained Gentoo areas. They are not actually
46 > maintaining the things, but motivating users to work on those areas and
47 > possibly thanks to those actions the team gets out overtakers overview
48
49 Again, another great idea of something we should implement and move
50 towards motivating others to help us in keeping the tree sane and up to
51 date.
52
53 > [backbone]
54 > scripters, writing all those fancy tools we could use to do above tasks
55
56 Not sure if this needs to be its own split out team, or that those that
57 join the other areas would already have some of those abilities, or
58 someone in that team already would.
59
60 > [QA]
61 > all of us should provide help and support to fellow devs when they have
62 > some migration up ahead, and we should promote that they should ask us
63 > first before trying to do some mass changes
64
65 Definitely, and I think we need to expand a bit more on this one, with
66 regards to big changes and involving QA.
67
68 > So what do ya think?
69
70 A lot of great ideas. We should probably come up with some well
71 defined roles for each group, like we do for treecleaners, that expand
72 upon the above ideas.
75 Mark Loeser
76 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
77 email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com