From: Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-qa] [GSoC-status] Tree-wide collision checking and files database
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:33:39
Hi everyone,

some of you already know that work on GSoC project "Tree-wide collision
checking and provided files database" has been started a few weeks ago.
For the rest, I will make a short introduction and goals of this
project (collagen).

Collagen aims to improve quality of ebuilds in portage tree. It does
this by compiling as many ebuilds as possible. It specifically takes
into account various atoms in DEPEND variable. For example if package
ebuild states that it needs =dev-libs/glib-2*, that package should be
compilable with every version of glib-2* in portage (taking into account
keywords). Therefore collagen will install one version of glib-2*, then
ebuild in question, collect information, uninstall ebuild and first
glib version. If repeats this process for every glib-2* in the tree.

Original idea was to have two sides:
 * master server (matchbox)
 * slaves compiling packages (tinderboxes)

Master server decides what needs to be compiled (automatically or
semi-automatically). Tinderbox asks for job, master provides package
name (and optionally version). Tinderbox then goes and tries to compile
package with different sets of dependencies reporting results to
Matchbox.

It seems that whole process could be sped up by hosting binary
packages on one central server (Binary host). Obviously various versions
of the same package would be created and therefore unique names could be
created by using some metadata to create hash part of filename. On a
first thought I would use USE flags and DEPEND as metadata to hash.

So far two other projects came to light as possible source of
inspiration and/or collaboration:
 * catalyst (mainly tinderbox generating part)
 * AutotuA (automatic generic job framework)

Especially AutotuA seems like good candidate for merging.

It doesn't seem possible to compile every project with every version of
every dependency, therefore I'd like to ask for your opinion especially
about this part. One idea I had was to restrict testing to highest build
number for given version. For example we have:
glib-2.18.4-r1 and glib-2.18.4-r2, therefore we will only test against
glib-2.18.4-r2 and will assume that r1 would be OK too (or users would
upgrade since it's a bugfix release)

Another approach to optimizing use of resources would be to have a
priority list of packages that need most testing. I imagine this could
be created by analyzing logs from gentoo mirrors, and figuring out which
packages are downloaded most frequently.

We would probably need at least one tinderbox per glibc version if I am
not mistaken since this cannot be freely up/downgraded.

This email was meant just as a teaser, more information (data model, UML
diagrams) is available on project website (look for Documents):
http://soc.gentooexperimental.org/projects/show/collision-database

I'd love to be hear some suggestions, opinions and criticism. You can
use this thread, or even various options on gentooexperimental.org.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky
Working for Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org

jabber: sochotnicky@×××××.com