From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-qa] splitting up package.mask
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 02:59:51
1 Hey guys,
2
3 I have an idea I'd like to run by the QA team.
4
5 For a user's portage preferences, we can have /etc/package.mask be a
6 file or a directory of files (package.mask/*) that will cumulatively
7 create the same effect.
8
9 Because package.mask in CVS for profiles is so huge, I think it might
10 help it to get organized if we split it up a bit.
11
12 halcyon had a good idea for the scheme: testing, broken, removal. That
13 seems to sum up the main 3 reason that a package would be masked.
14
15 Right now there are 679 entries in package.mask. The reason I came up
16 with the idea was to find a way to make it easier for treecleaners to
17 quickly see which ones they were working on.
18
19 I'd like to take the discussion to -dev but wanted to get QA's thoughts
20 first. I haven't looked into whether or not this is technically
21 feasible at all.
22
23 Steve
26 gentoo-qa@l.g.o mailing list