From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] QA confusion: Upstream qa issues -> failing to install
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:04:02
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> said:
2 > On Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:55:07 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 > > What this bug is about is rather the kind of errors that I've
4 > > commented on in [1], [2] and [3] which is that they _may_ be related
5 > > to macros or functions that are not declared/defined by the current
6 > > set of library dependencies, and would then lead to unresolved
7 > > undefined symbols, and thus, to runtime failure.
8 >
9 > or:
10 > - the return value is larger than an "int", and thus possibly
11 > truncated - the func requires 3 args, but user passes some other
12 > number, and compiler cannot flag it
13 > - the user passes args in the incorrect order and the compiler cant
14 > check it -mike
15
16 this is all very helpful info about the specific problem. we should
17 probably collect this kind of information in a (wiki) page somewhere and
18 point maintainers to it directly in the warning.
19
20 this would also help maintainers, when pushing patches upstream.
21
22 overall, i believe, that making the maintainers job easy, by providing him
23 ample guidance and knowledge on how to fix specific issues will make it
24 much more likely for him to fix the issue. this works for me anyway.