From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] [Fwd: [agriffis@gentoo.org: Re: [gentoo-releng] Meeting time]]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 01:44:49
1 On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 19:50, John Davis wrote:
2
3 > My perception of the current release process is this: We set a date
4 > for release. Developers work on features. Whatever is done in time
5 > for the release is what goes in, the other stuff waits for the next
6 > release. IMHO, part of the point of doing more frequent releases is
7 > to ease pressure from developers; if we can't finish a given feature,
8 > then we know there will be another release in 3 months, so it's okay.
9 >
10 > So I don't understand this list of potential features for 2004.2.
11 > Shouldn't this be maintained separately from the release process? Why
12 > is releng meeting to talk about this list?
13 >
14 > Regards,
15 > Aron
16
17 Aron -
18 Bingo on your first paragraph - that is one of the advantages of our
19 current release setup. You are right in saying that it should be
20 seperately maintained and the list that I fielded is the base for that
21 seperately maintained list. The meeting on Weds. is going to hash some
22 things out -
23
24 1. What is a releng feature vs. a Gentoo feature?
25 2. What can we implement effectively?
26 3. What do we try to implement for 2004.2?
27
28 2004.2 is the beginning of a more formalized feature request system. The
29 meeting Weds. will lay the foundation for that.
30
31 Cheers,
32 //zhen
33 --
34 John Davis
35 Gentoo Linux Developer
36 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
37
38 ----
39 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
40 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47