From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:17:39
1 On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 16:12, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > > Sure, it sounds good, but will it ever get off the ground?
3 > > I'm not convinced that this idea will take off...
4 >
5 > OK, we were talking about "GRP" -- the official, current definition here,
6 > which is already off the ground, clearly works, and used by lots of people.
7 > Several years ago, many Gentoo developers were against GRP as it exists
8 > today, and it was a large uphill battle to push for the creation of binary
9 > packages. What we are talking about is whether a possibility exists for
10 > Gentoo to totally regress to that original state, with next to no pre-built
11 > packages were available for our users. At this point, as Sven points out,
12 > there would be a great amount of resistance to GRP being dropped entirely
13 > (many users rely on GRP, the installer project is going strong, etc.)
14 >
15 > The stuff in GLEP 26 should be called something else, since it seems like
16 > we're all getting confused about what everyone else is talking about. And I
17 > agree with you in that it may not get off the ground any time soon. This
18 > shouldn't prevent interested parties in trying to figure out how to get it
19 > ("it" being binary packages to keep your system up-to-date) to work, though.
20 > And I can certainly understand why infrastructure may not want to host a
21 > comprehensive binary package update repository, since that could potentially
22 > involve a huge commitment of both CPU and storage resources. So huge, in
23 > fact, that it may be technically impossible to do as an official effort
24 > under the Gentoo Foundation itself.
25 >
26 > But I think the incremental binary update _technology_ is worth having. A
27 > lot of companies and educational institutions are trying to figure out how
28 > to deploy Gentoo and keep all their machines up-to-date. If incremental
29 > binary package updates are an option for them, I'm sure they'd appreciate
30 > it. Now, I am not saying that _we_ would provide the binary packages to
31 > them. We don't need to host the binary packages -- Gentoo can simply create
32 > the technology, explain how to use it, and then interested companies and
33 > universities can build their own package sets for their own internal use.
34 > Then they have a very efficient way to keep their catalyst-built Gentoo
35 > systems up-to-date.
36 >
37 > I bet that a handful will make their binary packages available to the
38 > public. For some organizations, this would be appealing because additional
39 > users would result in more QA over time, more bug reports, and the ability
40 > to improve their binary package sets faster. I think that this is more
41 > likely to happen in an academic setting, though.
42 >
43 > Just some ideas...
44 >
45 > Regards,
46 >
47 > Daniel
50 > --
51 > gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list
52
53 Well said Daniel -
54 GRP is here to stay because it is a user-popular viable install option.
55 What I proposed in my document are the incremental updates. If we choose
56 to go this route (which means I would completely rewrite that glep),
57 then I like the way that Daniel laid out - make the techology available,
58 document it, and let the users use it if they want to.
59
60 Let me know what you think.
61
62 Cheers,
63 //zhen
64 --
65 John Davis
66 Gentoo Linux Developer
67 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
68
69 ----
70 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
71 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47