From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:46:58
Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote: >> aside from that I don't have any "feature requests". For the benefit >> of folks with slower hardware, you might want to think about >> installing the binaries of Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird and >> Evolution on a networkless install from the CD. > > All of these packages (except maybe Evolution) are available on the > LiveCD for installation as part of a networkless install with the > installer. The LiveDVD should have Evolution as well. The installer > won't install anything the user doesn't ask for. If you want it, check > the box on the Extra Packages screen.
Yes, I know they're on the LiveCD. And if you install them networkless, they install the regular "ebuild", not the "-bin" version. So the next update makes you recompile. On slower machines, OpenOffice, for example, takes a long time to recompile. But if you put "openoffice-bin" on the LiveCD, that wouldn't happen. Firefox, Evolution, Thunderbird and OpenOffice are packages just about everybody loads, they're packages of significant size taking a fair amount of time to recompile on a "typical 1 GHz" machine, and they have frequent updates. In fact, I only started building OpenOffice from source when I got my dual core Athlon64 X2 5200+ with 4 GB of RAM! Maybe the dividing line should be CD vs. DVD. Put the "-bin" ones on the LiveCD but put the compiled versions on the LiveDVD, or both, since there's probably room for both on the DVD. -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list