From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:46:58
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
3 >> aside from that I don't have any "feature requests". For the benefit
4 >> of folks with slower hardware, you might want to think about
5 >> installing the binaries of Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird and
6 >> Evolution on a networkless install from the CD.
7 >
8 > All of these packages (except maybe Evolution) are available on the
9 > LiveCD for installation as part of a networkless install with the
10 > installer. The LiveDVD should have Evolution as well. The installer
11 > won't install anything the user doesn't ask for. If you want it, check
12 > the box on the Extra Packages screen.
13
14 Yes, I know they're on the LiveCD. And if you install them networkless,
15 they install the regular "ebuild", not the "-bin" version. So the next
16 update makes you recompile. On slower machines, OpenOffice, for example,
17 takes a long time to recompile. But if you put "openoffice-bin" on the
18 LiveCD, that wouldn't happen.
19
20 Firefox, Evolution, Thunderbird and OpenOffice are packages just about
21 everybody loads, they're packages of significant size taking a fair
22 amount of time to recompile on a "typical 1 GHz" machine, and they have
23 frequent updates. In fact, I only started building OpenOffice from
24 source when I got my dual core Athlon64 X2 5200+ with 4 GB of RAM!
25
26 Maybe the dividing line should be CD vs. DVD. Put the "-bin" ones on the
27 LiveCD but put the compiled versions on the LiveDVD, or both, since
28 there's probably room for both on the DVD.
29 --
30 gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list