From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, Gentoo-Base-System <base-system@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86-livecd - bugs and suggestions
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:43:28
1 Commenting inline below.
2
3 >> Bugs:
4 >> - Calculation of module dependencies fails at bootup
5 >
6 > Anybody have a log?
7
8 reason for this is that /lib/modules/${KV} is off a read-only
9 filesystem. It should not need to depmod that directory off
10 a livecd, as we won't have removed modules, etc. An alternative
11 approach would be to mount /lib/modules/${KV} on a tmpfs,
12 make sure the sub directories are symlinks to the read-only
13 fs, and copy the files like modules.pcimap to the tmpfs
14 so they are writable...
15
16 The first approach of just skipping the depmod if booting off
17 a livecd is the better approach. Also, this failure really
18 doesn't mean anything or do anything harmful, which is one
19 reason I didn't fix it in my baselayout.
22 >> - selection of keymap not possible
23 >
24 > We could add an alternative keymap script, that do that, and only
25 > install with USE=livecd ... anybody got a template, etc to start
26 > off?
27
28 this I don't have a clue about, so i'm not commenting on.
31 >> - Inability to halt/reboot (system just stops when all processes are
32 >> shut-down)
33 >
34 > Logs if possible?
35
36 The reason for this is quite simple. The livecd was built with
37 the cdfs/loop type as 'normal' which creates a loopback filesystem.
38 The loopback filesystem gets unmounted '_before_' everything else
39 is remounted readonly. But since the loopback is readonly as well,
40 it should never actually be being umounted before the reboot. The
41 actual / filesystem is a tmpfs with symlinks back to the mounted
42 loopback in this scenerio, so when you umount the loopback, the /
43 filesystem has symlinks to nothing, hence the hang.
44
45 This is not an issue if you use cdfs/loop type of zisofs or noloop
46 as there is no loop device to be umounted.
49 >> - Hardware-detection not included
52 > Sure will be nifty, but I guess catalyst should just install appropriate
53 > package and add to boot runlevel? Do not see any special handling, or
54 > am I missing something?
55
56 I had not gotten a chance to put together the livecd-tools package.
57 That script, as well as net-setup is in there. Basically, it will just
58 be a package that needs to be a dep in the livecd-stage1 packages,
59 and a quick one-liner in the default-runscript.sh will get it all
60 up and running, really a simple thing.
64 > As for 2.6 - think we can start to use module-init-tools as default for
65 > ALL profiles, or is there ARCH issues I am not aware of? Should just
66 > be needed to adjust the default virtual.
67
68 Right, as long as the current module-init-tools ebuild installs the
69 insmod.old for 2.4 kernels. I believe at one time it did not.
72 Even though I've stepped away from livecd stuff, I need to fix this
73 stuff to build my amd64 2004.0 release anyhow. I'd take care of this
74 since I'm more familiar with the problems if anyone wants me to. I can
75 do that this weekend.
78 -Brad House
79 brad_mssw@g.o
82 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list