From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: John Davis <zhen@g.o>, Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>, Gentoo-Base-System <base-system@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: baselayout changes for livecds
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:21:01
On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 07:24, Daniel Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 15:53, Martin Schlemmer wrote: > > Point I wanted to make, was that you do not need whatever in a stable > > baselayout, as it _only_ affects the livecd, or do I miss something? > > It looks like Brad found a good workaround for this. We can unmask the > baselayout we need (-r4) in our catalyst portage snapshot, and force a > re-merge of baselayout on the livecd by listing it in livecd/packages: > in the catalyst spec file. > > And in hindsight, I guess it's good that our baselayout is masked -* for > now, as we may need additional fixes in the coming week or two and may > not want to keep pushing out new stable baselayouts every few days just > for livecd stuff. > > Sorry for any pushiness from us; we've been working extra-hard on > catalyst and we can become frantic because of our desire to have > catalyst livecds work for people asap -- which then opens up the > possibility of sleeping more, catching up on other important work, and > having a real life again :) A lot of it is also that we know that other > people are waiting for us, which puts pressure on us to work too hard -- > and then we start demanding that from others which isn't fair, or in > this case even necessary. > > For 2004.0, our deadline needs to be "as soon as possible -- without > working too hard, being too pushy, getting frantic or burning out." And > in that, we will try to do a better job. >
Ok, what about catalist install its own version of livecd-functions.sh for the moment, with the ebuild only when USE=livecd. We then change the bit for sourcing livecd-functions.sh in /sbin/rc to: -- --- rc-scripts-1.4.3.12p2/sbin/rc 2003-12-25 19:25:24.000000000 -0500 +++ rc-scripts-1.4.3.12p5/sbin/rc 2004-01-16 23:10:40.880824792 -0500 @@ -6,6 +6,7 @@ trap ":" INT QUIT TSTP source /sbin/functions.sh +[ -f /sbin/livecd-functions.sh ] && source /sbin/livecd-functions.sh umask 022 try() { @@ -163,6 +164,11 @@ -- Meaning any of the livecd changes will _only_ be available on a livecd, which cuts the uneeded overhead, and settles Paul's concerns? When USE=livecd then propagated, catalyst can then stop installing its own version ... -- Martin Schlemmer -- Martin Schlemmer Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer Cape Town, South Africa