From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: [gentoo-core] live-grp
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:45:08
1 On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 22:58 +0200, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2 > On 27 Oct 2004, at 22:14, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > > Also, why is it this is the first time I have *ever* heard about this
5 > > when there have been "anti-GRP" discussions for as long as GRP has been
6 > > around and not once have I heard mention of any alternative, either
7 > > in-the-works, or even just planned?
8 >
9 > Releng didn't exist yet when I wrote the proposal. I wrote a bunch of
10 > proposals back then, one of them was dropping stage2 and stage3 for
11 > release and replacing them with extra grp. I also suggested using
12 > quickpkg for recreating binaries from one "live-grp" cd. I also
13 > remember klieber and drobbins having endless arguments at the time
14 > about whether GRP was evil or good (and gentoo being in an impasse
15 > because drobbins got his root access removed).
16
17 That explains quite a bit. My idea is also to use quickpkg to get the
18 system contents with one slight difference, we would still be providing
19 a stage3 tarball. The reason for this is simple, we remove a *ton* of
20 "system" packages for the LiveCD that we simply don't need but that
21 should be on a running Gentoo system. Now, it might be that when we
22 start looking at building a complete environment LiveCD that we need to
23 retain these packages. In that case, we would be able to build the
24 stages using quickpkg, also.
25
26 As I have said before, I don't really like GRP much myself, but I like
27 what it provides for our users. If we can provide nearly the same
28 functionality (or better) then I would definitely jump at the
29 opportunity.
30
31 > Back then each arch (only x86, ppc and sparc I think) had its own
32 > livecd and stages script. On ppc, we never built GRP as a separate
33 > target, we just built X-enabled livecds and GRP resulted from that
34 > process. (live-grp being almost a logical consequence). I'm quite sure
35 > I referred to the live-grp idea in the emails to releng explaining my
36 > catalyst enhancements (one of them being that GRP should be used to
37 > build livecd-stage1, because on ppc we never build grp as a separate
38 > target...).
39
40 Well, I am thinking along the same lines, except that livecd-stage1
41 would be the place for all the packages to be added and there would be
42 no GRP build, at all. Essentially it is the same thing as doing it the
43 other way around.
44
45 I am CC'ing -releng on this as I think we've diverged enough from -core
46 discussions and we should continue this there. I welcome anyone
47 interested in this and other release discussions to join the
48 gentoo-releng mailing list.
51 Chris Gianelloni
52 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
53 Games - Developer
54 Gentoo Linux
57 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list