From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] livecd support (mostly) done
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 05:51:17
1 well, I'd use 2.6.1 just because it has a lot of fixes,
2 but when you make that loopback device, are you first
3 filling the loop file zeroed out from /dev/zero ?
4 As far as I know you can't make a dynamic loopback file
5 please correct me if I'm wrong on this :/
6 Also, what options were you passing to mke2fs to create
7 the filesystem itself ??
8 I've never seen that error before. The only time I saw
9 it is when I was running out of inodes on genkernel because
10 of the sheer number of small files the /dev filesystem creates
11 in ratio to the size of the fs itself :/
12 But if it works on subsequent tries, that doesn't make sense.
13
14 -Brad
15
16 > Hi guys,
17 >
18 > livecd-stage3 in catalyst is now completed (will commit in a minute.) I
19 > have one last thing to add -- a "livecd-stage3/prune" variable support
20 > for the spec file, and of course documentation.
21 >
22 > But right now I am getting held up by a kernel bug. I can mount a
23 > loopback fs, and try to copy files to it. I get a "no space left on
24 > device." I can then repeat the exact same cp command, and a few seconds
25 > later it works. Seems to be some weird synchronization bug in the
26 > kernel. I'm using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.0 and I'm wondering if anyone
27 > has experienced anything similar. This is on amd64 but the loopback code
28 > in the kernel should be arch-independent.
29 >
30 > With this bug, sometimes the livecd-stage3 build works, and other times
31 > it will abort with "no space left on device." Not pleasant :/
32 >
33 > Regards,
34 >
35 > Daniel