From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:30:37
1 On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 22:20 +0100, Peter Weber wrote:
2 > Gentoo should have again an Universal-CD again, because:
3
4 No. Never. Quit suggesting we resurrect this low-quality piece of
5 crap. We will never bring this back. Ever. It caused too many issues
6 and was more trouble than it was worth.
7
8 > * Support for network/networkless-installation on one release-media
9
10 Same for LiveCD...
11
12 > * More flexibility as with Minimal-CD and LiveCD
13
14 Bull. The LiveCD has *way* more packages and has a much fuller
15 environment. The LiveCD is a superset of the Minimal/Universal package
16 set.
17
18 > * Compared with LiveCD the footprint is generally small (necessary
19 > hardware, size of image)
20
21 Bull. The Universal CD was nearly always a full 700MB.
22
23 > * Offers the classic full "Shell-Installation" who is loved by the
24 > gentoo-community (no voodoo-scripts, included stage3 and sources for the
25 > most important packages like vanilla-sources and bootloaders)
26
27 Yes, because everybody out there is too dumb to start the LiveCD with
28 "nox" or simply switch to a console of their choosing.
29
30 > * Could also offer a Ncurses-Installer and requires only some MB of
31 > space on the disk (without X11, Gnome, OpenOffice)
32
33 We *do* already do this.
34
35 > * One consistent-installation way for all platforms (only x86/x86_64
36 > doesn't offer it currently)
37
38 That is because we're moving to the Installer *from* the Universal.
39
40 > * Debian and Ubuntu (with its alternate-cd) offers currently more
41 > flexible solutions than Gentoo! Hey, who is here the meta-distribution?
42
43 Ahh, yes. Time for the accusations without any backing!
44
45 Got any other completely unproven statement to make? Maybe users are
46 leaving Gentoo for Ubuntu because Gentoo has a graphical installer now?
47 How about that the Universal CD is being removed secretly from the
48 mirrors because Daniel Robbins owns the trademark on the words
49 "Universal CD" and won't sell it/license it to the Gentoo
50 Foundation? ;]
51
52 > * There are currently unoffical Universal-CD avaiable, we don't need
53 > much work to prepare: http://download.libexec.de/ting/2007.0/
54
55 ...and?
56
57 How cares? Anyone can do this all they want. What Release Engineering
58 *doesn't* have to do is support it. After all, that's the entire point
59 of dropping them in the first place.
60
61 > Thanks to dertobi for the great work ;-)
62 > Maybe he can support you with necessary and up-to-date catalyst files.
63
64 Umm... 's/minimal/universal/' *.spec... ;]
65
66 > Please don't put this suggestion to your trash can, because you
67 > personally don't need or want it. The Univeral-CD is and was always a
68 > great installation-media, and it was simple.
69
70 Well, if you don't want your suggestion to go to the trash, please try
71 to come up with something *original* that hasn't already been shot down
72 100 times.
73
74 Thanks,
77 Chris Gianelloni