From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:18:28
1 On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:02:33 -0500
2 "John Davis" <zhen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I disagree - a snapshot is not a freeze in the same way that our old
5 > release policy called for. Although you can do what you are saying
6 > (versions, etc), the tree itself never freezes. Gentoo is a fluid
7 > distribution.
8
9 I understand that Gentoo is a fluid distribution, but how can you provide
10 quality QA on a set of packages if they are constantly changing,
11 particularly when trying to build binary sets for distribution?
12
13 In order to do proper QA, there is going to have to be some stagnation
14 between the snapshot and the live portage tree (1.5 to 3 weeks for build
15 time and proper QA for a given arch). Other than the critical or security
16 related bug fixes, what are we going to be using as the demarcation for
17 updating packages in the snapshot, and how will we be ensuring that all
18 arches are using the same versions of programs (where applicable)?
21 Jason Wever
22 Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead