From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:45:06
1 Hi,
2
3 davecode-Nbr/4NovP0l9pMjJd8zWoA@××××××××××××.org:
4 > > we'd never release ~arch tarballs
5 > I'm talking testing, you're thinking stable...
6 > Testers by definition do not want old stuff. The reason they are
7 > testing is they want new stuff. Yes, they understand the risk. In
8 > Debian they use "unstable" and "experimental" branches.
9
10 We have to think of people that install the first time or rely on
11 having a stable system, they need arch as it is tested. A fixed and
12 tested status has the pro of having less problems for Newbies.
13
14 > > I think your idea of how Gentoo releases work is a bit skewed.
15 > > Everything comes from stable. Always.
16 > I'm not clear how I said otherwise? Well, okay, straighten me out ...
17 > My understanding is
18 > * Gentoo has two parallel ongoing branches, arch and ~arch
19
20 Correct.
21
22 > * ~arch has more recent packages than arch but less stability
23
24 Correct.
25
26 > * both branches keep upgrading over time with bug/security/feature
27 > fixes
28
29 Correct. This is done by teams per architecture, have a look at
30 <URL:http://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html>.
31
32 > * the only stage3 tarballs that exist are for the previous mega public
33 > release
34
35 Correct.
36
37 > * Gentoo releng team plants a pole in the ground and ~arch becomes
38 > arch "beta"
39
40 No. There is a snapshot taken which contains the packages stable at
41 the moment of shooting.
42
43 > * arch "beta" quickly turns into arch-stable, while a new ~arch forks
44 > ahead
45
46 We don't have an immediate switch, the parts of the tree move
47 constantly and at different speeds.
48
49 > Rolling tarballs for both arch and ~arch together is no more work than
50 > one or the other. It would be the same automated stuff.
51
52 Problems that occur one day might blow support...so those automated
53 stages need to be unsupported and we would win nothing out of it.
54
55 V-Li
58 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
59 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
60
61 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>