From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 (ppc?) cd layout for 2004.0
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:45:53
1 On 18 Feb 2004, at 21:23, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2
3 > It's also too important part of the installation. Perhaps not for the
4 > cron
5 > (not everybody needs a cron daemon) but it is for the system logger.
6 > You
7 > cannot ask the user to install a system logger after he has rebooted
8 > into his
9 > Gentoo system. It'll upset the user as all information is printed on
10 > his
11 > terminal.
12
13 It is indeed a cosmetic issue, and when no logger is installed the
14 login process spawns an ugly message making the user think his system
15 is broken.
16 Looking at this from another perspective:
17
18 a stage3 is a stage2 + emerge system
19
20 The system profile includes virtuals (logger, cron, kernel,
21 bootloader). The problem is that there are a few possibilities to
22 realize these virtuals and thus there are different realizations for a
23 given profile. We could choose a default realization of such a virtual,
24 but for something like a logger this might be difficult, a user is not
25 bound to like our choices :-). This brings up my earlier suggestion
26 about a "virtual stage3". It would be trivial to have portage (-ng)
27 automatically suggest a realization for a system profile using GRP,
28 rather than to create different realizations. Not having to include
29 stage3's, would allow to create only 1 cd instead of 2 cd sets. Instead
30 of 1 bootable CD + 5 non-bootable CDs we would have only 5 bootable
31 CDs.
32
33 Pieter
37 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list