From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:39:15
1 On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 12:31, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2 > A few words of caution for 2004.2:
3 >
4 > EXAMS EXAMS EXAMS
5 >
6 > On 30 Apr 2004, at 05:38, John Davis wrote:
7 >
8 > > 2004.1 did amazingly well.
9 >
10 > We didn't implement a single feature request, so it should be taken
11 > with a grain of salt.
12
13 I respectfully disagree, quite strongly actually. Although we did not
14 complete any of the feature request, which will be something that we
15 have to work on for 2004.2 (that is why I started the process so early),
16 we did get the release out on time and complete. Every release up to
17 2004.1 was late and broken; 1.4 was almost vaporware and 2004.0 was
18 late. We accomplished something that has never been done with Gentoo
19 before, and I see that as something to be proud of (not to say that we
20 have an enormous amount of room to improve).
23 > > In my time at Gentoo, I have never seen a release go so well. What
24 > > we did for 2004.1 was truly amazing work - each of you should be proud
25 > > as hell about what we got accomplished in that short amount of time.
26 >
27 > I would like to see that reflected a bit more in the press release for
28 > upcoming 2004.2. Nobody reads those boring release notes right now,
29 > they are hidden somewhere on the releng page and not linked from the
30 > press release.
31 > I'm not very inclined to keep writing them if livecds on the mirrors
32 > are not updateded (a simple typo in the bootloader config) when I have
33 > bugfixed (corrected typo) ones available.
34
35 Very good point. I dropped the ball with the press release and the
36 release notes, be assured that they will be part of a more concise and
37 information filled press release for .2.
38 >
39 > Another example: nobody knows there are optimized G5 32bit stages, that
40 > we've released a first experimental ppc64 livecd... If we don't say
41 > we're the first, then another distro will.
42
43 By all means, please post a news item on the g.o front page. Again, I
44 did not include them in the press release because I dropped the ball,
45 but you do not need releng's blessing to advertise your experimental
46 work. In fact, write up a news blurb for the front page and I will get
47 it published ASAP.
50 > > Okay, so here is the breakdown:
51 > >
52 > > To address #1 I have built a month+ of QA time into 2004.2 (please see
53 > > the link at the bottom for the link to the preliminary 2004.2 page).
54 >
55 > I need two weeks (8 days building, 2 days uploading) for building and
56 > releasing the ppc preliminary release (assuming no bugs occur). All
57 > features need to be completed by the 14th, and I'll take a snapshot
58 > from the building tool on the 14th, that leaves 4 days to actually
59 > implement and QA any new feature requests, because we're only deciding
60 > upon new feature requests on may 10th.
61
62 Let's ditch the preliminary release requirement then. I would much
63 rather have QA and testing over a prelim release. Will this work?
66 > Please also note that I have some developers in training that are
67 > crucial for 2004.2. These people will most likely become dev when the
68 > release has been build.
69 >
70 > > #3 is all plasmaroo and the genkernel team. Please contact him ASAP
71 > > with
72 > > your bugs - he is lightning quick about patches to fix problems :)
73 >
74 > genkernel is a bottleneck, because a new release is needed for each
75 > kernel we make a livecd .config for. And ppc has a lot of kernels to
76 > support (3x POWER, G3,G4,G5, pegasos, amiga, chrp, prep, oldworld) =
77 > 32bit + 64bit = G5, POWER
78 >
79 > I'd prefer to have kernel-sources with livecd config as default or
80 > something like that (see arch/ppc/configs/* in your kernel sources)
81 >
82 > For pegasos we need to be able to produce a <kernel,initrd> all-in-one
83 > file. dholm has patches
84 >
85 > We are intending to migrate our kernel stuff to kernel-2.eclass, johnm
86 > got the roadmap. The developer who is going to do that is currently in
87 > training, and will therefore not be able to do so before the release is
88 > build.
89
90 You need to open a dialog with plasmaroo on this one. Genkernel,
91 although used by releng, is not maintained by releng. Perhaps at some
92 point it can be in the future, but at this point in time, it is up to
93 you to get on plasmaroo to fix the problems.
96 > > Okay, the schedule for 2004.2 is much more lax than 2004.1. Please take
97 > > the time to look over the 2004.2 info sheet linked from the bottom of
98 > > this mail and provide me with some feedback with regard to the
99 > > schedule.
100 > > Again, I want to make this release as low stress as possible, so let me
101 > > know if I can adjust the schedule in any way to help complete this goal
102 > > :)
103 >
104 > see above
105 >
106 > Isn't it possible to just update the stages and GRP? I see no reason to
107 > make 4 full releases a year. (Actually I do see some, but not really
108 > flattering ones).
109
110 Quarterly releases aren't even a year old yet and are in the process of
111 being refined. Until they are, please bear with some of the issues that
112 come up. I very much so prefer quarterly releases because they keep QA
113 constantly going for the distro as a whole, and QA is something that we
114 have historically had problems with. I don't even want to think about
115 changing the quarterly schedule until we get another year under our belt
116 - we need to give it time to mature.
117 >
118 > > Ok, the last thing in this long e-mail (I swear :) is the feature
119 > > request. Please see the mail that I am going to send to -core and -dev.
120 > > Basically, I am going to field some feature requests and then hold a
121 > > meeting with all of you on releng to see what requested features are
122 > > feasible. I will keep you posted.
123 >
124 > Preferably as few as possible. >EXAMS<
125
126 In July, yeesh ...
129 Cheers,
130 //zhen
131 --
132 John Davis
133 Gentoo Linux Developer
134 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
135
136 ----
137 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
138 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47