From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0?
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 18:27:23
Stuart Herbert wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote: >> There's no pre-releases available, but I have a couple dual-core >> machines and can tell you that current releases work quite well. You >> don't need to wait for 2007.0 for dual-core support. > > I can't speak for 2007.0, but I'm seeing nasty race conditions in the > baselayout versions used on both 2006.1 and current stable baselayout > with an AMD64 X2 5200+. On boot-up, I'm regularly seeing baselayout > fail to remount / as read-write, because other baselayout scripts have > already started running, and I'm seeing the reverse on shutdown, where > / isn't being remounted read-only because other baselayout scripts > haven't finished running yet. > > I do not have baselayout set to run scripts in parallel. > > Best regards, > Stu
I'm still getting the &$%^ thing up! I have the 4200+ -- couldn't quite bring myself to go for the 5200+. :) I was in a hurry, so after living with freezes in the 2006.1 Gentoo LiveDVD, I tried Ubuntu Feisty Fawn-- which also froze. Debian Etch is the one that seems to be the most stable of the pure 64-bit distros out there so far, but it's frozen on me too -- while unpacking the 2006.1 AMD64 stage3 tarball, no less. Right now the machine is dual-booted Etch and CentOS 5, and if I can get the CentOS X configuration straightened out, I'm going to see how long *that* one can stay up without freezing. I can't tell yet whether it's hardware or software, but I'm guessing the kernel at this point rather than hardware -- I have some /var/log/messages traces that don't look like hardware. Once I get a stable OS, I'll load Gentoo from it and do the real debugging. The 2.4.20 kernel in Gentoo stable has to be better that the 2.4.18s the other distros seem to be carrying. -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list