From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0?
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 18:27:23
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On 5/3/07, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 >> There's no pre-releases available, but I have a couple dual-core
4 >> machines and can tell you that current releases work quite well. You
5 >> don't need to wait for 2007.0 for dual-core support.
6 >
7 > I can't speak for 2007.0, but I'm seeing nasty race conditions in the
8 > baselayout versions used on both 2006.1 and current stable baselayout
9 > with an AMD64 X2 5200+. On boot-up, I'm regularly seeing baselayout
10 > fail to remount / as read-write, because other baselayout scripts have
11 > already started running, and I'm seeing the reverse on shutdown, where
12 > / isn't being remounted read-only because other baselayout scripts
13 > haven't finished running yet.
14 >
15 > I do not have baselayout set to run scripts in parallel.
16 >
17 > Best regards,
18 > Stu
19 I'm still getting the &$%^ thing up! I have the 4200+ -- couldn't quite
20 bring myself to go for the 5200+. :) I was in a hurry, so after living
21 with freezes in the 2006.1 Gentoo LiveDVD, I tried Ubuntu Feisty Fawn--
22 which also froze. Debian Etch is the one that seems to be the most
23 stable of the pure 64-bit distros out there so far, but it's frozen on
24 me too -- while unpacking the 2006.1 AMD64 stage3 tarball, no less.
25 Right now the machine is dual-booted Etch and CentOS 5, and if I can get
26 the CentOS X configuration straightened out, I'm going to see how long
27 *that* one can stay up without freezing.
28
29 I can't tell yet whether it's hardware or software, but I'm guessing the
30 kernel at this point rather than hardware -- I have some
31 /var/log/messages traces that don't look like hardware. Once I get a
32 stable OS, I'll load Gentoo from it and do the real debugging. The
33 2.4.20 kernel in Gentoo stable has to be better that the 2.4.18s the
34 other distros seem to be carrying.
35 --
36 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list