From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:14:34
On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 21:56 -0800, davecode@××××××××××.net wrote:
> > The stage tarballs are *never* ~arch. We have talked about doing automated > > builds, but we're not releasing them for public consumption, since there will be > > absolutely *zero* QA done on them. > > Of course not; I didn't mean you replace official releases with ~arch! > I only meant that, like Debian et al, there be regular tarballs for > eager testers. That seems more sensible that starting testing from a > year-old tarball. Some others might test in kexec/vmware/chroot or > whatever.
Ehh, we'd never release ~arch tarballs. If we were to do something like this, it would be weekly stable tarballs. There's no guarantee that ~arch is even consistent. With stable, there's at least the testing of the arch teams.
> > why exactly do PPC boxes need the newest everything? > > Sigh. I'd rather not go there. Suffice to say ~arch is why we're here. > The current ~arch is turning into 2008.0 anyway, so that's what where > we can help QA Gentoo.
No, it isn't. I think your idea of how Gentoo releases work is a bit skewed. Everything comes from stable. Always. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Games Developer