From: davecode@××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:37:57
1 > we'd never release ~arch tarballs
2
3 I'm talking testing, you're thinking stable...
4
5 Testers by definition do not want old stuff. The reason they are
6 testing is they want new stuff. Yes, they understand the risk. In
7 Debian they use "unstable" and "experimental" branches.
8
9 Some big distros even vector off "unstable," such as Ubunutu. So I am
10 not alone in this...
11
12 The rolling stage3 suggestion isn't that Gentoo checks everything. The
13 servers just spit them out. The idea is that Gentoo give testers more
14 recent ~stage3's than year-old tarballs which are not even marked ~arch.
15 No SVN/CVS etc. Our explicit interest is testing - not stable
16 releases! Even when you ship 2008.0 we'll be on ~arch.
17
18 Having just gone through days of testing with 2007.0, and upgrading to
19 ~ppc, I'm just trying to offer some constructive feedback. Linux
20 projects want testers and developers, in general. The way to attract
21 testers is lowering barriers to entry.
24 > I think your idea of how Gentoo releases work is a bit skewed.
25 > Everything comes from stable. Always.
26
27 I'm not clear how I said otherwise? Well, okay, straighten me out ...
28 My understanding is
29
30 * Gentoo has two parallel ongoing branches, arch and ~arch
31 * ~arch has more recent packages than arch but less stability
32 * both branches keep upgrading over time with bug/security/feature fixes
33 * the only stage3 tarballs that exist are for the previous mega public
34 release
35 * Gentoo releng team plants a pole in the ground and ~arch becomes arch
36 "beta"
37 * arch "beta" quickly turns into arch-stable, while a new ~arch forks
38 ahead
39
40 Corrections welcome...Anyway, rolling testing tarballs for ~arch was the
41 idea.
42
43 Rolling tarballs for both arch and ~arch together is no more work than
44 one or the other. It would be the same automated stuff.
45
46 Thanks for a wonderful distro and the work on 2008.0.
49 davecode@××××××××××.net
52 http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different…
55 gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list