From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Feature Requests for 2006.1
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:19:16
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 14:51 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 14:27 -0500, solar wrote: > > You cant really do a server profile so far nested within the > > default-linux profiles. The flags will be just wrong.
> Have you verified this or are you just assuming?
took a quick peek and I know how default-linux is maintained. Stuff gets added on a whim to upper levels.
> > Also a server is not something you should be switching profiles every 6 > > months. > > This I definitely agree with, with the exception that I am specifically > looking to create a profile set that *is* changed every release. The > main difference here would be that profiles would be deprecated/removed > at a *much* slower rate.
While I can semi agree with you here. If we do it. It should either be a profile that does not change in terms of being deprecated unless there is a real ABI change or one that is an annual profile.
> > If you are serious about a server profile I'd suggest dropping what you > > are thinking now. Lets have a meeting (hardened + server + infra + > > releng ) folks and do it right together. > > I'm not sure what either Infra or Hardened would have to do with > "default-linux" stuff, except that their input would be very valued as > they would be experienced in these matters.
Reason I say this is that time and time again the idea of server profiles have been brought up. It's a task I've been willing/wanting to take on and work with teams. But in the end the result has always been that the hardened profile is suitable/ideal for servers and that adding an explicit server profile was opted against. Now by you creating one you are effectively setting precedence of what a server profile should be.