From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] A stage* and distfile download script instead of links
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 03:24:03
Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 14:57 -0600, John Alberts wrote: > >> I think it's a good idea too. Just a small script called 'getsources' >> or something that gets a stage tarball and portage snapshot. >> > > Alright, since people seem hung up on this idea. Which stage tarball? > Regular? uclibc? Hardened? What will you use to determine which version > to even get? The CD itself really has nothing on it to identify the > version, so how will your script know where to go? > > See, computers are good at dumb, repetitive tasks. They tend to suck > hard on anything that requires even the slightest amount of grey matter. > I think it's best to let the user decide what he wants to download. > That really *is* the point of pointing people to the mirrors, directly. > >
To add to Chris comments and from what mirror? It might seem a minor question for someone on the US or even on a few EU countries, but in some parts of the world, the mirror can have a huge impact on speed or the internet bill. -- Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org Gentoo-forums / Userrel / SPARC / KDE -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list