From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] A stage* and distfile download script instead of links
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 03:24:03
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 14:57 -0600, John Alberts wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think it's a good idea too. Just a small script called 'getsources'
5 >> or something that gets a stage tarball and portage snapshot.
8 > Alright, since people seem hung up on this idea. Which stage tarball?
9 > Regular? uclibc? Hardened? What will you use to determine which version
10 > to even get? The CD itself really has nothing on it to identify the
11 > version, so how will your script know where to go?
12 >
13 > See, computers are good at dumb, repetitive tasks. They tend to suck
14 > hard on anything that requires even the slightest amount of grey matter.
15 > I think it's best to let the user decide what he wants to download.
16 > That really *is* the point of pointing people to the mirrors, directly.
19 To add to Chris comments and from what mirror? It might seem a minor
20 question for someone on the US or even on a few EU countries, but in
21 some parts of the world, the mirror can have a huge impact on speed or
22 the internet bill.
25 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
26 Gentoo-forums / Userrel / SPARC / KDE
29 gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list