From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Fwd: grub 0.97 does not support GPT partitions
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 01:12:57
1 Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
2 > Grub 0.97 does not including support for GPT partition tables and
3 > upstream has stated that they have no intention of adding this support
4 > is it is a Grub "2" feature. Perhaps this is a pessimistic view point but
5 > I don't believe we'll be seeing a stable Grub "2" release for some time.
6 >
7 > This going to become a serious problem for many users in the near future
8 > as storage devices in excess of 2TB are becoming more and more common.
9 > We're likely just few years away from seeing single disks in this size
10 > range.
11 >
12 > In my case, I've encountered this issue already with 10TB RAID sets that
13 > I'd like to be able to boot from. I've been able to work around this
14 > limitation in two ways. 1) cutting the RAID set up into multiple
15 > volumes with first one being smaller than 2TB so it can host a msdos
16 > partition table or 2) building my own liveCD with a patched version of
17 > grub that supports GPT partition tables and using a portage overlay with
18 > the same patched version of grub. It is my belief that fix #2 is the
19 > more elegant solution. Therefore I'd like to propose that Gentoo
20 > patches grub to support GPT partitions. The patch that I pulled from
21 > the grub mailing lists to add this support is attached and I can attest
22 > that it is functional in a production environment.
23 >
24 > Thoughts?
25 >
26 > -J
27
28 Stuff like this is better suited for a bug where it can be discussed and
29 eventually a solution used.
30
31 I'd include in the bug this patch and your latest modified grub ebuild.
34 Cheers,
35
36 --K
39 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
40
41 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
42 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
43 --
44 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list