From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] A stage* and distfile download script instead of links
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:39:13
On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 14:57 -0600, John Alberts wrote:
> I think it's a good idea too. Just a small script called 'getsources' > or something that gets a stage tarball and portage snapshot.
Alright, since people seem hung up on this idea. Which stage tarball? Regular? uclibc? Hardened? What will you use to determine which version to even get? The CD itself really has nothing on it to identify the version, so how will your script know where to go? See, computers are good at dumb, repetitive tasks. They tend to suck hard on anything that requires even the slightest amount of grey matter. I think it's best to let the user decide what he wants to download. That really *is* the point of pointing people to the mirrors, directly. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Games Developer