From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:06:30
1 Alex Howells wrote:
2 > On 05/02/2008, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> If you plan to use XFS, make sure your UPS is working. In my
5 >> experience, it does not like power failures at all. Maybe things have
6 >> changed since tho.
10 > It uses very aggressive caching to get decent speed. Take a decent
11 > database box with 32GB RAM, assume MySQL is underworked at the moment
12 > and using 11GB then your power quits on ya.... chances are you just
13 > lost 21GB of your "most used" data which would probably be most of
14 > /var/lib/mysql ;)
15 >
16 > Under no circumstances is XFS safe without a UPS. It has not improved
17 > in this regard and probably never will. Anyone advising you to deploy
18 > XFS in a production environment without UPS on 'critical' data is a
19 > fool.
20 >
21 > Just my two cents, of course, and lets get back on topic? :)
24 That was my point. I lost a install once because of XFS and a power
25 failure. It would not even think of booting again. I'm on reiserfs
26 here and so far, so good. I guess all file systems have some good
27 points and some bad points. Just got to know them before you choose the
28 wrong one. :/
29
30 On point tho, is the last available "official" stage3 tarball the same
31 as the one on the 2007 CD?
32
33 Dale
34