From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:06:30
Alex Howells wrote:
> On 05/02/2008, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote: > >> If you plan to use XFS, make sure your UPS is working. In my >> experience, it does not like power failures at all. Maybe things have >> changed since tho. >> >> > > It uses very aggressive caching to get decent speed. Take a decent > database box with 32GB RAM, assume MySQL is underworked at the moment > and using 11GB then your power quits on ya.... chances are you just > lost 21GB of your "most used" data which would probably be most of > /var/lib/mysql ;) > > Under no circumstances is XFS safe without a UPS. It has not improved > in this regard and probably never will. Anyone advising you to deploy > XFS in a production environment without UPS on 'critical' data is a > fool. > > Just my two cents, of course, and lets get back on topic? :) >
That was my point. I lost a install once because of XFS and a power failure. It would not even think of booting again. I'm on reiserfs here and so far, so good. I guess all file systems have some good points and some bad points. Just got to know them before you choose the wrong one. :/ On point tho, is the last available "official" stage3 tarball the same as the one on the 2007 CD? Dale :-) :-)