From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: Re: Feature Requests for 2006.1
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:15:53
Chris Gianelloni wrote:

>> None of my servers have pointing devices, gpm is not only useless in this >> situation, it introduces additional unnecessary maintenance. mailwrapper >> is another example of something that only serves to give me headaches ;) > > Again, just because none of *your* servers do not have pointing devices > does not make it an accurate general statement. My main goal here is to > keep all of the desktop USE flags out of the profile. In this case, I > can definitely see a use for gpm on a server, unlike gnome or xmms.
I would be willing to bet that most people who run servers don't plug mice into them and don't need them. Last time I removed gpm from a stage3 it became unusable because the gpm libraries were linked into coreutils (ls), even though gpm is not in IUSE for coreutils. This is a perfect example of why I prefer a minimal base setup - to limit headaches such as this and the need to update packages with possible vulnerabilities in the future even though I don't use them.