From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: Re: Feature Requests for 2006.1
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:15:53
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >> None of my servers have pointing devices, gpm is not only useless in this
4 >> situation, it introduces additional unnecessary maintenance. mailwrapper
5 >> is another example of something that only serves to give me headaches ;)
6 >
7 > Again, just because none of *your* servers do not have pointing devices
8 > does not make it an accurate general statement. My main goal here is to
9 > keep all of the desktop USE flags out of the profile. In this case, I
10 > can definitely see a use for gpm on a server, unlike gnome or xmms.
11
12 I would be willing to bet that most people who run servers don't plug mice
13 into them and don't need them.
14
15 Last time I removed gpm from a stage3 it became unusable because the gpm
16 libraries were linked into coreutils (ls), even though gpm is not in IUSE
17 for coreutils. This is a perfect example of why I prefer a minimal base
18 setup - to limit headaches such as this and the need to update packages
19 with possible vulnerabilities in the future even though I don't use them.
20
21 > Honestly, I don't want people to focus on the server profile as much as
22 > what really concerns *me* which is the desktop setup that will be used
23 > for building the next LiveCD set.
24
25 So, is your request for comments on server profiles now cancelled?
28 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list