From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>, gentoo-releng@l.g.o, carpaski@g.o, Nick Jones <carpaski@××××××.net>, Jochen Maes <sejo@g.o>, dev-portage@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: multiple virtuals
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 22:22:21
1 On 08 Apr 2004, at 22:14, Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 > So what ppc people want is blackdown-jdk as default provider for
4 > <=virtual/jdk-1.3 and ibm-jdk as default for >virtual/jdk-1.3. Can
5 > someone confirm that this understanding is correct?
6
7 Yes, that is a correct. I guess that this could be implemented by
8 extending the virtuals file format:
9
10 virtual/jdk blackdown ibm
11
12 If an application depends on jdk version 1.4, blackdown realizations
13 are considered first, if no satisfying one is found, the ibm search
14 space is considered.
15 Even better would be to consider the virtual file as 'preferences'. If
16 none of the preferred realizations is satisfying our demand, we look
17 for ebuilds realizing virtual/jdk (if we haven't already considered
18 them).
19 Faster and perhaps easier would be to allow versions to be specified:
20
21 virtual/jdk-1.4 ibm-1.4
22 virtual/jdk-1.3 blackdown-1.3
23
24 But of course these are only suggestions. The reason why we are not
25 eager to change virtual/jdk to ibm-jdk is that this ibm-jdk-1.* has to
26 be downloaded manually, and has a license that has to be accepted,
27 making distributing it on a livecd difficult. Also, IBMs jdks lack
28 certain features such as browser plugins.
29
30 Best regards,
31
32 Pieter Van den Abeele