From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] drobbins built a livecd
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:41:36
1 On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 03:32, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2 > Hey,
3 >
4 > I tried building ppc livecds with catalyst and genkernel yesterday. I
5 > have some remarks.
6
7 OK, I just committed a couple of improvements to the code:
8
9 I added a new file_locate() function to modules/catalyst_support.py
10 which provides a generalized way to try to see if a file exists, and if
11 not, an exception is raised. file_locate() is now called for the
12 snapshot, source_path and the distdir. catalyst now aborts right away if
13 any of these files cannot be found.
14
15 Also, livecd-stage1 no longer gets tarred up. livecd-stage2 does a cp -a
16 from /var/tmp/catalyst/tmp/<profile>/livecd-stage1-<stamp>. The cp -a is
17 necessary because livecd-stage2 cleans and preps the chroot area, and we
18 need to keep the pristine livecd-stage1 version if we need to tweak
19 anything in the livecd-stage2 process.
20
21 In theory, livecd-stage1 and livecd-stage2 could be combined, and the
22 recreation of the pristine livecd-stage1 environment could happen by
23 unpacking the stage3 and using the livecd-stage1 package cache. This
24 would save up to a GB or so of disk storage. And reduce the number of
25 livecd spec files from 2 to 1. If people are finding the disk usage to
26 still be excessive, I can do this.
27
28 But the current changes I just committed should save, say, 500-700MB of
29 disk usage and a lot of tar.bz2 compress/uncompress time. We'll need to
30 see if this is enough.
31
32 Regards,
33