From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] drobbins built a livecd
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:41:36
On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 03:32, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
> Hey, > > I tried building ppc livecds with catalyst and genkernel yesterday. I > have some remarks.
OK, I just committed a couple of improvements to the code: I added a new file_locate() function to modules/catalyst_support.py which provides a generalized way to try to see if a file exists, and if not, an exception is raised. file_locate() is now called for the snapshot, source_path and the distdir. catalyst now aborts right away if any of these files cannot be found. Also, livecd-stage1 no longer gets tarred up. livecd-stage2 does a cp -a from /var/tmp/catalyst/tmp/<profile>/livecd-stage1-<stamp>. The cp -a is necessary because livecd-stage2 cleans and preps the chroot area, and we need to keep the pristine livecd-stage1 version if we need to tweak anything in the livecd-stage2 process. In theory, livecd-stage1 and livecd-stage2 could be combined, and the recreation of the pristine livecd-stage1 environment could happen by unpacking the stage3 and using the livecd-stage1 package cache. This would save up to a GB or so of disk storage. And reduce the number of livecd spec files from 2 to 1. If people are finding the disk usage to still be excessive, I can do this. But the current changes I just committed should save, say, 500-700MB of disk usage and a lot of tar.bz2 compress/uncompress time. We'll need to see if this is enough. Regards, Daniel -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list