From: Alex Howells <astinus@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:17:10
On 03/02/2008, Markus Hauschild <hauschild.markus@××××××××××.com> wrote:
> If you really want to test ~arch packets you don't necessarily need > ~arch stages to download, you can just switch your Installation to > ~arch and then file bugs etc.
.. which may not be received too well. There is a perception that Developers *support* ~arch, which is a skewed outlook; it's there for testing, it is *not* meant to be used by 99.5% of end users. It is a means to an end, a way to track packages which *may* be stable, a QA process. ie: The following would/should be entirely acceptable: <User> I'm running ~arch of libfoo and it's breaking appwoo, help! Need this to work, really *REALLY* badly! <Dev> We're aware of those issues, but libfoo works fine for most of the other apps which require it. No ETA on the fix, tough sh*t for running ~arch on a critical box. <User> Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! If you're interested in helping that QA process, most of the architecture teams now have an 'Arch Tester' (AT) setup you could help out with... -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list