From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo-Base-System <base-system@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86-livecd - bugs and suggestions
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:20:30
1 On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 20:43, Brad House wrote:
2 > Commenting inline below.
3 >
4 > >> Bugs:
5 > >> - Calculation of module dependencies fails at bootup
6 > >
7 > > Anybody have a log?
8 >
9 > reason for this is that /lib/modules/${KV} is off a read-only
10 > filesystem.
13 Right, as I suggested in my mail to beejay.
14
15 > It should not need to depmod that directory off
16 > a livecd, as we won't have removed modules, etc. An alternative
17 > approach would be to mount /lib/modules/${KV} on a tmpfs,
18 > make sure the sub directories are symlinks to the read-only
19 > fs, and copy the files like modules.pcimap to the tmpfs
20 > so they are writable...
21 >
22 > The first approach of just skipping the depmod if booting off
23 > a livecd is the better approach. Also, this failure really
24 > doesn't mean anything or do anything harmful, which is one
25 > reason I didn't fix it in my baselayout.
28 Easiest will be with a check to CDBOOT.
31 > >> - selection of keymap not possible
32 > >
33 > > We could add an alternative keymap script, that do that, and only
34 > > install with USE=livecd ... anybody got a template, etc to start
35 > > off?
36 >
37 > this I don't have a clue about, so i'm not commenting on.
40 Same - I use the defaults 8)
43 > >> - Inability to halt/reboot (system just stops when all processes are
44 > >> shut-down)
45 > >
46 > > Logs if possible?
47 >
48 > The reason for this is quite simple. The livecd was built with
49 > the cdfs/loop type as 'normal' which creates a loopback filesystem.
50 > The loopback filesystem gets unmounted '_before_' everything else
51 > is remounted readonly. But since the loopback is readonly as well,
52 > it should never actually be being umounted before the reboot. The
53 > actual / filesystem is a tmpfs with symlinks back to the mounted
54 > loopback in this scenerio, so when you umount the loopback, the /
55 > filesystem has symlinks to nothing, hence the hang.
56 >
57 > This is not an issue if you use cdfs/loop type of zisofs or noloop
58 > as there is no loop device to be umounted.
61 Ok, I changed things a bit, so might have expected I guess. I do
62 however have an issue with the naming. Some time ago it was decided
63 that it should be /mnt/livecd. Now it changed again. Can we decide
64 on something now? If so, fix is easy.
67 > >> - Hardware-detection not included
68 > >>
69 > >
70 > > Sure will be nifty, but I guess catalyst should just install appropriate
71 > > package and add to boot runlevel? Do not see any special handling, or
72 > > am I missing something?
73 >
74 > I had not gotten a chance to put together the livecd-tools package.
75 > That script, as well as net-setup is in there. Basically, it will just
76 > be a package that needs to be a dep in the livecd-stage1 packages,
77 > and a quick one-liner in the default-runscript.sh will get it all
78 > up and running, really a simple thing.
82 > > As for 2.6 - think we can start to use module-init-tools as default for
83 > > ALL profiles, or is there ARCH issues I am not aware of? Should just
84 > > be needed to adjust the default virtual.
85 >
86 > Right, as long as the current module-init-tools ebuild installs the
87 > insmod.old for 2.4 kernels. I believe at one time it did not.
90 > Even though I've stepped away from livecd stuff, I need to fix this
91 > stuff to build my amd64 2004.0 release anyhow. I'd take care of this
92 > since I'm more familiar with the problems if anyone wants me to. I can
93 > do that this weekend.
96 Sound good.
101 Martin Schlemmer
102 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
103 Cape Town, South Africa