From: Gustavo Zacarias <gustavoz@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Catalyst 1.0.9 / Cascading profiles sparc showstopper
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:48:16
1 Hiya.
2 I've been speaking to a couple of you about this, but i'm going public
3 now :)
4 The deal is that linux-headers on sparc64 needs gcc-sparc64 to get
5 built. This is because of the 32-bit userland vs. 64-bit kernel thing.
6 The problem arises with catalyst 1.0.9 and/or using cascading profiles.
7 Basically, linux-headers doesn't have gcc-sparc64 in DEPEND* because
8 gcc-sparc64 isn't needed for sparc32 and we rather not do a "sparc? (
9 sys-devel/gcc-sparc64 )" thingy because that would get it for sparc32
10 too, which is really untested and we don't want either.
11 A couple of solutions i've devised are:
12 1- Make a new USE flag for this, something like "sparc64", make the
13 depend conditional on that and place it in sparc64 profiles. Cons: i
14 don't like the idea of yet another USE flag just for this.
15 2- Do what i'm doing now, that is, tweak the portage snapshot for
16 sparc64 before building stages. Cons: no user would be able to build
17 their own catalyst stuff without knowing this.
18 From what i talked with Weeve, this could also affect mips, so if the
19 first solution is the one to go, it should be generic enough for them to
20 use too.
21 3- Some catalyst magic? (zhen?) :)
22 Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?
23 Best regards.