From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: mlb@××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] [Fwd: a blind dumb question]
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:43:49
Yes, as of the 2004.0 livecds (which are based upon catalyst
and genkernel 3.0.1), you will be able to copy the kernel and
initrd directly from the livecd into your boot partition to
boot your systems, I'm still working on being able to grab the
/lib/modules/* to fill the system as well.  In the near future
we'll be building gentoo packages  .tbz2's  that you can just
emerge  gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.1-athlonxp.tbz2   and it will
install the appropriate packages and kernel.

The main problem with genkernel right now is the people who
created the livecds have not committed their kernel configs
for building your own kernel, if we could get those people
to do that, you wouldn't be having those problems.

The current livecds have very specific initrds that are only
meant for cdbooting, this new initrd in genkernel 3.0.1 is
100% multi-purpose, for recovery, normal systems, and cd-based
systems.

-Brad House
brad_mssw@g.o