From: Alex Howells <astinus@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:22:34
On 05/02/2008, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
> > If you plan to use XFS, make sure your UPS is working. In my > experience, it does not like power failures at all. Maybe things have > changed since tho. >
It uses very aggressive caching to get decent speed. Take a decent database box with 32GB RAM, assume MySQL is underworked at the moment and using 11GB then your power quits on ya.... chances are you just lost 21GB of your "most used" data which would probably be most of /var/lib/mysql ;) Under no circumstances is XFS safe without a UPS. It has not improved in this regard and probably never will. Anyone advising you to deploy XFS in a production environment without UPS on 'critical' data is a fool. Just my two cents, of course, and lets get back on topic? :) -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list