From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:54:08
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:44:43 -0500
"John Davis" <zhen@g.o> wrote:

> Expect this to happen time to time with releases. Since we no longer > have a 'package freeze', issues like this will be encountered.
Last minute changes like this though seem to be more due to a lack of proper planning than some ultra crucial bug or security fix.
> I would say that by the end of this week (the 16th), you will be safe to > make a final snapshot. The purpose of this testing week was to identify > things like the openssl problem ;)
Then I will not be able to have anything ready to release at LWE, which was the purpose of the original release date. Not all architectures can build the components for a release in the time that x86 and faster PPCs can. I know this point comes back up every release cycle, but the behavior does not change. Even on a fast sparc64 box, it'll still take close to a week to build everything (stages, GRP and LiveCD), granted there are no problems. Perhaps I'm unfair in this assessment, but because of repetitive problems like this, I really feel like non-x86 arches are like 2nd class citizens.
> I know this may be frustrating, but hang in there. As far as I know, > openssl and baselayout are the only system packages that are going to be > bumped, and they should both be bumped by Friday (brad willing :) ).
Yes, this is extremely frustrating when trying provide quality releases in a timely fashion. -- Jason Wever Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead