From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Workaround for stage1 failures introduced with portage-2.3.19-r1
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 23:15:44
1 On 01/30/2018 02:44 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:57 PM, Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
4 >> <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> I believe there was some misunderstanding about my comment.
6 >>> I meant I prefer to add to our /etc/portage/package.keywords an entry
7 >>> for a portage version with this issue fixed.
8 >>> Per Zac's comment above, I'll do that for portage2.3.21.
9 >>>
10 >>> Thanks,
11 >>> Jorge.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> You're going to ship unstable portage in stage3 just to avoid adding a
15 >> temporary portage config that users won't even see?
16 >
17 > AFAICS, the real solution here is not to try to play "whac-a-mole",
18 > but to get a consistent resolution by portage - which requires using a
19 > version that is currently unstable (pending stabilization at a later
20 > date).
21 >
22 > Zac,
23 > do you foresee any issue with users getting a downgrade from 2.3.21 to
24 > the latest stable? At that point, the virtual providers were already
25 > picked, so they shouldn't be affected by this issue. Are there any
26 > features on 2.3.21 that may cause "regressions" is users end up
27 > downgrading to the current latest stable?
28
29 There are not problems like that, the downgrade should be smooth.
30 --
31 Thanks,
32 Zac