From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Checklists for testers and QA
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 17:02:33
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 09:58 +0100, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Chris Gianelloni a écrit : > > Is it really that nobody cares or is everybody just being lazy and > > saying "yeah, that's good enough" when I intentionally didn't list lots > > of things that I'd came up with when writing the original list. I > > honestly don't know which it is here. > > Do we know how many people actually use the software on the live media?
Yes. Every single person who uses the Installer uses the software on the disk.
> Do they care if it's not 100% functional?
Yes, since anything non-functional ends up non-functional on their machines. Now, could we focus less on whether checking the software is a valid use of time or not and instead look at *what* we should test within that software?
> <personal experience> When I install Gentoo, I'll use which ever live > CD/DVD/USB I can find, if not, I'll download the minimal install CD and > the only pieces of software I'll use is dhcpcd and a web browser to read > the handbook. I'll occasionally use screen and ssh{,d} if the box is too > far from my desk.
We don't really care what you use. I mean no offense by this, but it doesn't help *this* conversation any.
> So once you release a beta, that's what I'll be trying out first and > foremost.
Sure. That's the absolute minimal amount of testing that we normally perform. All we gain is knowing it works on your specific hardware and not much else, since you're planning on testing the parts we test extensively.
> But, wouldn't it be interesting to find out the usage patterns for our > users before making a big list of things to check?
Not really. The quality should be as perfect as possible on everything, not just the major things. The whole point here is to get community involvement, which means many more eyes so we can cover much more ground.
> Maybe not enough users do care to make it block QA and releng's time > when making new releases.
We *want* to know what to test. That's the whole point. We've only been testing certain things due to time constraints. If we had a more comprehensive list, it would make a better release. Plain and simple... -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Games Developer