From: Yuri Gagarin <zthg4821@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2007.0 snapshot tracker restricted?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:58:34
1 On 3/16/07, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > The 2007.0 snapshot is what we build the release against. It has
3 > nothing to do with your installing a system or not, as you will want to
4 > update your system after installation *anyway* so using a 2006.1 CD and
5 > running an "emerge --sync" and updating world afterwards will give you
6 > the exact same results.
7
8 Aren't Gentoo releases, such as 2007.0, a "gold seal" so to speak,
9 denoting increased stability and QA scrutiny when compared with any
10 randomly chosen Gentoo snapshot? This is the assumption behind my
11 desire to base my deployment on the 2007.0 release, and it appears to
12 be supported by the following claim on Release Engineering's project
13 page:
14
15 "This project is very much focused on ensuring that the initial
16 quality of every official release is as high as possible, and that the
17 "from CD" experience is as positive for as many of our users as
18 possible."
19
20 I could, as you suggest, forgo the waiting and deploy right now using
21 2006.1 + sync + update world, but it seems to me that would result in
22 installations that have the least possible assurances on stability and
23 quality, given that the number of changes made to Gentoo since the
24 last release-quality mark, 2006.1, is near its peak. (In other words,
25 the further from a release in terms of changes made, the less
26 meaningful is the "gold seal" signified by that release.) Furthermore,
27 because any issues currently holding back the 2007.0 "gold seal" are
28 hidden from users by the restricted release tracker bug, I have no way
29 to make an informed decision of whether or not to take my chances.
30
31 > If this is really something that would cause you to go to another
32 > distribution over, there's not much that we can do about it and it is
33 > likely that you might not be happy with Gentoo, anyway.
34
35 I've been administering Gentoo systems happily for several years.
36 Please don't dismiss my expectations; I believe they're reasonable
37 given Release Engineering's stated goals.
38 --
39 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list