From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:57:45
1 On Thursday 29 April 2004 22:12, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > The stuff in GLEP 26 should be called something else, since it seems like
3 > we're all getting confused about what everyone else is talking about. And I
4 > agree with you in that it may not get off the ground any time soon. This
5 > shouldn't prevent interested parties in trying to figure out how to get it
6 > ("it" being binary packages to keep your system up-to-date) to work,
7 > though. And I can certainly understand why infrastructure may not want to
8 > host a comprehensive binary package update repository, since that could
9 > potentially involve a huge commitment of both CPU and storage resources. So
10 > huge, in fact, that it may be technically impossible to do as an official
11 > effort under the Gentoo Foundation itself.
12
13 For me, this could best be implemented outside the gentoo project. We could
14 then list binary distro's based of gentoo or something like that. We then
15 need to add support for better binary dependency checking to portage, but it
16 should be possible to pull it off. Full continuously updatable like debian is
17 hard though and much of that work should be done by the developers of such a
18 gentoo based distro.
19
20 > But I think the incremental binary update _technology_ is worth having. A
21 > lot of companies and educational institutions are trying to figure out how
22 > to deploy Gentoo and keep all their machines up-to-date. If incremental
23 > binary package updates are an option for them, I'm sure they'd appreciate
24 > it. Now, I am not saying that _we_ would provide the binary packages to
25 > them. We don't need to host the binary packages -- Gentoo can simply create
26 > the technology, explain how to use it, and then interested companies and
27 > universities can build their own package sets for their own internal use.
28 > Then they have a very efficient way to keep their catalyst-built Gentoo
29 > systems up-to-date.
30
31 See above, I agree.
32