From: Jeffrey Forman <jforman@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] 2004.1 propogation method
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:05:55
1 Releng,
2
3 Just wanted to keep you all abreast of how we (infra) plan to release
4 2004.1 from the infrastructure side.
5
6 Corey Shields (cshields) and I will be testing out the 'bit flip' method
7 for this next release, it is the same method Redhat has used in their
8 numerous releases. The basic concept is all the files will be uploaded
9 to public mirrors, but with their world-readable perm set to 0
10 (effectively 700) so only the owner of the rsync/ftp/http process can
11 read it. At a certain time, in which we can decide anytime the day we
12 decide to realase, we "flip the bit" essentially, changing the files
13 from 700 -> 755, so everyone can read them. Only the permission is
14 changed via rsync, its immediate and no large multi-megabyte files are
15 transferred. Hence, 2004.1 is released. This will give our mirrors time
16 to get ready for the bandwidth hit. John and I came to the conclusion
17 that we wanted at least 72 hours to propogate before we flip the bit. I
18 would also like all the release media to be on one of the gentoo infra
19 boxes 12 hours before that, so we have it somewhere on a big pipe to
20 transfer at will.
21
22 I'd like to put in a policy that we DO NOT under any circumstances post
23 press releaes on the various sites (distrowatch, osnews, slashdot,
24 cnn.com, www.g.o, etc) until the bit is flipped. Let's try and stay the
25 onslaught of people from .0 who came in wondering "wtf is my gentoo
26 2004.0?!"
27
28 RFC
29