From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 03:31:16
1 On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 23:08, Jeffrey Forman wrote:
2 > I think I am the one responding here with the least amount of
3 > professional release engineering experience and in speaking to John and
4 > reading over these threads some ideas came into my mind.
5 >
6 > (1) Stick with the quarterly-release schedule until at least 2004.3 (the
7 > last one of 2004). After that point, or a good time period before,
8 > decide what we're going to do for >= 2005.
9 > (2) If we stick with quarterly releases, change the viewpoint that even
10 > releases (.0, .2) are NEW FEATURE releases. There needs to be some
11 > compelling reason to release here. Maybe a db-backend portage (just an
12 > idea) or some new from-the-ground-up feature. The odd (.1,.3) releases
13 > incorporate bug fixes, typos, and other non-new-feature inclusions. In
14 > my mind, this doesnt force devs/releng/infra to create totally new ideas
15 > for every release. Come up with something original before the even
16 > release, and refine it in the following odd quarter.
17 >
18 > If we decide as 2005 nears to scrap the quarterly release system, maybe
19 > go with tri-yearly or biannual releases. It just gives more time to the
20 > release to come up with new ideas and new inclusions.
21 >
22 > Ridicule, deride, praise,
23 > -Jeff
24
25 Jeff -
26 The direction of your ideas is definitely a good one. I am very open to
27 this course of action.
28
29 Cheers,
30 //zhen