From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 and ppc stages built
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:16:43
1 On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 09:41, Jason Wever wrote:
2 > In the couple runs of test stages I've done on sparc and sparc64, I've
3 > noticed that the make.conf that is in the resulting stage tarballs is very
4 > stripped down and not at all geared towards new users or people not overly
5 > familiar with make.conf. Has anyone seen/fixed this?
6
7 I did this intentionally -- it has pros and cons. The pros are that it
8 is very easy for people to quickly see what all the critical settings
9 are without wading through tons of comments that are interspersed with
10 uncommented lines -- something I find a bit overwhelming.
11
12 The cons are that all the comments are gone. However, I really do prefer
13 the lack of clutter and think that the several pages of informational
14 comments in /etc/make.conf really do belong in the new Gentoo Handbook
15 instead, where they will always be available, organized as a reference
16 that doesn't interfere with a user's "real" config. Right now, we have
17 enough /etc/make.conf options that the commented version of the
18 make.conf has really become much too complex.
19
20 I don't think that /etc/make.conf is the best place to explain important
21 issues relating to the Gentoo install. Better to put all that info in
22 our official documentation, now that we have a Handbook.
23
24 Well, that's the theory behind the new "lean" make.conf.
25
26 Daniel
30 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list