From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 and ppc stages built
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:16:43
On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 09:41, Jason Wever wrote:
> In the couple runs of test stages I've done on sparc and sparc64, I've > noticed that the make.conf that is in the resulting stage tarballs is very > stripped down and not at all geared towards new users or people not overly > familiar with make.conf. Has anyone seen/fixed this?
I did this intentionally -- it has pros and cons. The pros are that it is very easy for people to quickly see what all the critical settings are without wading through tons of comments that are interspersed with uncommented lines -- something I find a bit overwhelming. The cons are that all the comments are gone. However, I really do prefer the lack of clutter and think that the several pages of informational comments in /etc/make.conf really do belong in the new Gentoo Handbook instead, where they will always be available, organized as a reference that doesn't interfere with a user's "real" config. Right now, we have enough /etc/make.conf options that the commented version of the make.conf has really become much too complex. I don't think that /etc/make.conf is the best place to explain important issues relating to the Gentoo install. Better to put all that info in our official documentation, now that we have a Handbook. Well, that's the theory behind the new "lean" make.conf. Daniel -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list