From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature request for 2008.0
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 22:04:47
Kamil Górnik wrote:
> Hi, > > I suffer lack of vi (vim) on stage3 since ever. It's not a big binary > and still there are those who prefer vi to nano. > Every time I install gentoo the first time I need to do after setting up > the system is emerging vi before emerge -Du world.
We will *never* include vim instead of nano, simple because *everybody* can use nano, which many people have no fscking clue how to use vim. I've been a linux user for almost 8 years, and I've never learned how to use vim. We also will not include *both* packages, because that would bloat the stages unnecessarily. Just because you prefer vim instead of nano doesn't mean we should use it. There are many aspects of the release where somebody thinks that *their* preference is the correct one. It usually isn't :P -- Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/ Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list