From: John Alberts <john.m.alberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Checklists for testers and QA
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:22:13
Also, I think instead of asking the user what type of hardware they
have, they should be asked to attach the output of lspci, lsusb, and
cat /proc/cpuinfo.
I think someone else previously mentioned using a program called
hwreport.  I just gave it a try.  It's only 11k and it's in portage.
It basically just dumps info from various important entries under
/proc and creates a tarball.  So, after I installed it, I ran '#
hwreport reportname' and it instantly created a reportname.tar.bz2
file.  This could be attached with the survey.
Of course, ideally it would be easier on the folks trying to sort out
this information if there was a script to parse they surveys, extract
the tarball and upload the info to a database, so you can just view
the compiled info.

John Alberts