From: John Alberts <john.m.alberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Checklists for testers and QA
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:22:13
1 Also, I think instead of asking the user what type of hardware they
2 have, they should be asked to attach the output of lspci, lsusb, and
3 cat /proc/cpuinfo.
4 I think someone else previously mentioned using a program called
5 hwreport. I just gave it a try. It's only 11k and it's in portage.
6 It basically just dumps info from various important entries under
7 /proc and creates a tarball. So, after I installed it, I ran '#
8 hwreport reportname' and it instantly created a reportname.tar.bz2
9 file. This could be attached with the survey.
10 Of course, ideally it would be easier on the folks trying to sort out
11 this information if there was a script to parse they surveys, extract
12 the tarball and upload the info to a database, so you can just view
13 the compiled info.
14
15 John Alberts