From: Peter Weber <peterle@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:48:46
1 Hours for, mhhh, five lines of code?
2 ...think yourself about.
5 On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 14:35 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
6 > On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 22:47 +0100, Peter Weber wrote:
7 > > A other good solution would be merging Universal and Minimal-CD
8 > > togehter, so we offer only a smaller Universal-CD (about 200-400 MB) and
9 > > a complete LiveCD (about 700 MB).
10 >
11 > Wow. I'm just not even going to respond to this one and just let
12 > everybody who knows what the difference between a Minimal CD and an
13 > Universal CD snicker to themselves. ;]
14 >
15 > > > * Support for network/networkless-installation on one release-media
16 > >
17 > > > The LiveCD does this.
18 > >
19 > > No. Only the Installer does this! This is not possible via shell,
20 > > because the users have no access to the voodoo-scripts.
21 >
22 > No, the LiveCD does this. The Installer is a feature of the LiveCD.
23 > Also, the Installer doesn't do networked installs, anymore.
24 >
25 > > Why nobody removes Gnome, Open-Office from the LiveCD and replace it by
26 > > a true Stage3? It would be also nice, not be forced always switch of the
27 > > automatic start of the howl X11-Crap.
28 > > Default could be the plain shell, as ever, and a message who says the
29 > > user he could type "installer" (for ncurses-installer) and
30 > > "gui-installer" (for X11 with Installer). Gentoo is about choices ;-)
31 >
32 > No, Gentoo is about empowering the user to make choices for themselves
33 > and providing the tools to facilitate those choices. It doesn't mean
34 > that we have to spend countless hours building, testing, and supporting
35 > media that we find to be rather useless due to its *very* limited
36 > feature set versus the LiveCD.
40 gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list