From: znmeb@×××××××.net
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0?
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 17:57:57
Quoting Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>:

> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote: > > I'm still testing some things, but there are some bugs in the NVidia > > "sata_nv" part of the AMD64 Linux kernel that have showed up in the > > Debian bug archives. Apparently it worked in older kernels and got > > broken "recently". I haven't found any differences with or without > > Uhh, how recent? I've been running a 2.6.20-gentoo-r4 kernel for at least 37 > days (current uptime) on my dual-core athlon64 box with nvidia sata (nforce4) > without any problems. > > -- > Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/ > Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project > -- > gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list > >
I'll have to go check Google for the exact entry. Meanwhile, I've found a couple of things and the system is almost stable now with both Fedora 2.6.20 and Gentoo 2.6.21. I can't get it to stay up with any Debian 2.6.18 kernel. 1. The AMD64 install "suggests" the doscsi option on the kernel boot command. It doesn't seem to be necessary and it may have been causing problems.I'm running now without it. 2. The default kernel configuration on the AMD64 2007.0 LiveDVD in /usr/share/genkernel/x86_64/kernel-config-2.6 is for 2.6.17 and may not be right for my hardware. I started with the configuration I get from booting the LiveDVD. 3. The install suggests a GCC "march" value of "athlon64" and the Gentoo documents recommend "k8". I looked at the GCC docs and they appear to be identical in function, but I can't be sure which one is for Athlon64 X2 processors. I am still using "athlon64". Once I get the "atlas" library built, which requires turning off the CPU frequency adjustment logic in the kernel, I'm going to re-enable that and see if things are more stable that way. But for now, at least I can boot it up, send and receive email, do genkernels and emerges without constant panics, crashes, freezes, hangs, oopses and choruses of "your hardware's b0rked" on all the forums that I've looked in for kernel help. :) -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list