From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] catalyst livecd improvements
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:43:22
On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 03:38, tigger@g.o wrote:
> > Again, please don't make direct commits to the catalyst code. Thanks. > > Then please respond to my pings on irc or my emails for once.
I'm very sorry that I did not reply to the one private email that you sent me. Sometimes, emails I receive do slip through the cracks. In the future, if you can't reach me, email zhen or post to the -releng list with any issues relating to catalyst. There are people that we allow to make commits directly to catalyst code. In general, they are listed on the catalyst project page (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/). We also allow arch leads to make changes to the settings in their respective arch plugin, and beejay has made some commits to non-arch parts of the code. The difference here is that I am working with beejay to debug certain parts of the code (he's also the acting x86 arch lead.) For any kind of development, it's important that there is at least one person who has a full understanding of what changes are being made to the code. That person is me, with Zhen as my assistant. I understand that you had only the best intentions for making your commits, and they were fairly minor, but I just want to be clear about our policy. Also, I know that we have a very unstructured style of development on this project, so I can certainly understand the confusion that this can cause. To help remedy this, I've started to document Gentoo development standards here on cvs: gentoo/xml/htdocs/proj/en/lead/dev-project-stds.xml (It's plain ASCII currently, not XML yet but the writing has been through several drafts. What is there is fairly refined; I'll be adding several more chapters before putting it online.) I think that reading this document will help you understand where I'm coming from. For catalyst, we are trying to use the "surgical team" model of development and ensure that we preserve catalyst's conceptual integrity by making sure that all code gets reviewed by me or Zhen before hitting the tree. Also, my initial reply to you *was* very snippy; I apologize for that. I had a *very* stressful day yesterday (kids sick) and it came across in my email. Please forgive me for that. Regards, Daniel -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list